Sunday, February 27, 2011

Addiction

Addiction (noun): the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, such as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma. (From dictionary.com)

I've never had a substance addiction (other than a slight one to caffeine that affects the typical college student). However, I do know that "addictions" and obsessions are dangerous in my life. Usually it revolves around some movie, TV show, or other pop culture phenomena. My latest addiction: Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I know what you're thinking right now: "Wait, you're addicted to a television show that has been over for 7 years?" The truth is, yes, I am. Well, was up until I finished the seventh and final season of Buffy yesterday. The source of this problem is two-fold: too much time on my hands since I don't have studying to do and Netflix Instant. All seven season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer are available instantly on Netflix, and what has made it easier has been the Roku player that allows me to now watch these instant movies on my TV.

Now don't get me wrong, I've thoroughly enjoyed the 100 or so hours I've spent with Buffy, Giles, Willow, Xander, and the rest of the Scoobies. However, within the past two days alone, I watched the entire seventh season of this show. This equates to having accomplished and done almost nothing else. What do I have to show for it? An ability to connect to people over an old cult classic? Perhaps. More immediate effects have been strange dreams about super strength fighting skills and sexy, non-sparkling vampires. Also, I have a feeling that during the next week I will be going through Buffy withdrawal, and adding "y" to just about any word to make it an adjective.

All in all, I know that I have spent too much time watching Buffy on Netflix. Maybe it could have been better if it was more spread out and I didn't watch 5+ episodes in one day. All that I know now is that I have more time to be more productive. More time to practice French for my oral exam on Friday, more time with God in the Word and in prayer, more time to spend getting to know people better and building into their lives.


And also time to get addicted to a new television show...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting! This reminds me of a John Piper quote, that "Righteousness is valuing what is truly valuable." Anything we prize that is not truly worthwhile is sin. So often I find myself involved in things or looking forward to things that I know are not valuable, and in the end, they don't satisfy.

    ReplyDelete