Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Writing

I started writing a book today. Finally. This has been a goal in my life for a long time now, and not to say that I haven't "started" a novel before, but I'm actually getting serious about this thing. My life throughout college has really honed my writing skills, but so far all I've done is write a lot of papers. In these papers has been a lot of reflection, yes, sure, but there has been limited creativity. I used to write short stories when I was a kid, usually random things sometimes based on my life or based on something I read in a book. I always thought I could be a writer when I grew up. Now that I'm at that point in my life, however, it's a lot scarier. I'm not so sure that I have the same level of creativity now that I did when I was little. I've spent so much time writing papers that I still often think in that same format when I open a word document. Starting to write a book is a scary thing, but I think it's also going to be a crazy wonderful adventure. Below are some questions and ideas that I will be (hopefully) addressing in this book. And who knows, maybe one day it will be published.
Who and what influences us as young people?
What is inspiring?
Does life get better?
How do we prevent suicide?
How do we promote equality?
What gives life meaning? ... What about God?
What is LOVE?
In looking at each character, the question comes up: what does he/she know? what does he/she believe? What kinds of past/present experiences shape him/her?
Do people have the same experiences with different outcomes?
How are we alike? How are we different?
Insecurities vs. Confidence
Happy or depressed?
Hope vs. wish
Perceptions of others vs. the truth of others vs. perceptions of ourselves
How do we know what we know about the world? about others?

No comments:

Post a Comment