Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thankful

But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (I Corinthians 15:57)

I don't think I appreciate my life enough, sometimes. There are times when I do realize how blessed I am with friends and family, and also plenty of food, water, and material possessions, but these aren't frequent enough. God has blessed me in so many ways, and He continues to astound me and show me, even when I stray, that He loves me. Many people often come to appreciate the blessing of life when they lose a loved one, I am no exception to this, of course. I lost my grandmother this week and it made me think a lot about her life and also about life in general. The blessing that it is, and what we can do with it. God has given us this life, and whether you believe in Him or not, we have a responsibility to not only enjoy it, but to live life to its fullest.

The thief comes only to steal, kill, and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:10)

I am so grateful for my life and for everything in it. First of all, for my family. This week was difficult for us. Ties were tested, and while we are far from a perfect family, I really appreciated having everyone there. We all dropped everything to be there for my grandmother when the doctors said she wouldn't make it. We cried together, we laughed together, and even though we also fought together, I wouldn't trade them for anyone. I am so thankful for each and every one of them.

I am grateful for my friends, too. The ones with whom I've lived, with whom I've worked, with whom I've grown. They know me the best and they continue to love me, unconditionally, like family. Many are my brothers and sisters in Christ, my family. I know that the friends I've made in college, especially, will be my friends for the rest of my life.

I am also thankful that I've found things to be passionate about, important things such as my education and my career, my future, other cultures and the world. I'm also thankful that I've found less important interests that I can get excited about, like television shows, movies, books, and websites. The internet communities that have formed around these small things are amazing, and I continue to be impressed by the talent that I discover because of these communities. (I hope to also continue to discover new things to be interested in and excited about, along with new communities to be involved in.)

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. (Psalm 100:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment